Thursday, January 7, 2010

My Riding Adventures Thus Far

...Riding as in cycling. I started riding last year when I bought a cheap little mountain bike from a friend. It was way old and I rode it around for fun up and down the streets. I then was interested in this sport ever since. So I wanted a new road bike because the mountain bike was heavy and old too. Boy they were expensive and I am only in college still so I do not make enough money! One day though I drove by a house on a Saturday. They were having a garage sale and on their driveway was an amazing looking (at least to me) road bike. I turned around to check it out and I fell in love with it. The brand is unknown to me but I know it is a cheapy bike from walmart or Target. It needed new tubes and tires so I walked away with it for only 15 dollars! After some cleaning and changing the tires the bike looked epic!

So I was way happy that i was able to change the tubes and tires, adjust the shifters, and give the bike a nice cleaning. Now it was time to hit the road!
My free time is mainly on the weekends so that is when I do most of my riding. My rides consist of anywhere between 12-15 miles but I'm still learning and eventually would love to ride 50+ miles. I hesitate to go alone because if I am ever in an emergency, I would like to have someone there to help out. Anyways I bought a cheap little computer to see my speed and log miles and I have definitely improved.

Next was being comfortable on those rides. To be honest, the cycling apparel is quite revealing..LOL. I always thought the cycling shorts were ridiculous. So I went out riding with out them. BOY my first ride KILLED my ass. It hurt to sit on any surface and the pain did not go away until a week later. So I figured I'd invest in some shorts even though I was embarrassed. The first time I wore them, my ass was in heaven! After my normal ride, there was no pain and nothing sore at all. Time after time I wore them and now could care less of what others think of me when I wear them. As for my upper body, I have yet to buy a jersey. Too lazy I guess when I can use a T-shirt. I use my running shoes because my pedals have straps, and I found it pretty ridiculous that the lightweight helmets that all roadies wear cost almost 100 dollars! Plus they looked ridiculous on me so I bought myself a nice BMX helmet so I look cool while riding....haha totally joking but still the BMX helmet works and isn't too heavy. I gotta say my love for this sport grows daily. I appreciate other cyclists now and give them props for doing what they do. This year I hope to buy a brand new road bike and get new apparel...when I have the money that is! Also later on I would love to try out a race and do a century ride. As of now I'm doing it for fun and exercise and my cheap little garage sale bike is holding up and doing an amazing job. It is the simplest things in life that make me content!

No comments:

Post a Comment